Dear FGMS Parent/Guardian:
We are off to an amazing start to the 2019-2020 school year at Fair Grove Middle School. I want to say thank you for entrusting us with the awesome responsibility of educating your middle school child. We promise to do our very best to ensure your child receives the academic instruction and personal care they deserve and that you expect. I want to take this opportunity to share information on two new facets of our educational program at FGMS.
First, along with the school calendar change to a four day school week, we have added an additional thirty-six minutes of instructional time to our school day. This time is called “Eagle Time” and is your student’s 8th hour class/Homeroom. During this time your child will participate in many of the following activities:
- Receive additional instruction in both Reading and Math through their general education teachers
- Be provided Character Education and Leadership lessons by our FGMS School Counselor
- Participate in Community Service activities at the direction of the School Principal and grade-level teachers
- Receive preparation for the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP)
- Join and participate in school extra-curricular clubs and activities
- Complete assigned homework and projects and receive tutoring from classroom teachers
We are extremely excited about all of the possibilities available for this part of our school day.
Secondly, we are going to begin incorporating an assessment called NWEA into our assessment program at FGMS this school year. Your child will participate in a short testing window during the Fall, Winter and Spring. The results from this assessment will help our teachers and staff to provide more personalized instruction and learning opportunities and monitor the growth of individual students throughout the school year. We will use this valuable resource along with our annual MAP data to help ensure that we are providing our children with the appropriate academic lessons and challenges. Our teachers will receive extensive training on the NWEA program and will be able to keep students and parents informed on the student’s academic growth with each new testing window. If you would like to do further research on NWEA please visit https://www.nwea.org/parent-toolkit/ and explore the resources available to you online.
Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to spend the school year with your child. If you have questions please feel free to call the FGMS office or contact your student’s 8th hour teacher.
Mr. Marc Green, Principal